Landscaping projects can be dangerous to pets

Within hours after contact with the tree limbs, both dogs were rushed to a veterinary emergency room.

A freshly cut walnut tree caused our two dogs to become gravely ill.  Poison Control informed us that walnut trees secrete a substance called juglone, which is toxic.  The initial symptoms include vomiting, diarrhea, seizures and paralysis.

We had a walnut tree taken down in our backyard.  Our dogs did not chew the wood; they simply got too close.  Within a mere 4 hours after contact with the downed tree limbs, both dogs were rushed to a veterinary emergency room with identical symptoms.

They were nearly unconscious, trembling and paralysis had set in.   The ER team stabilized them with IV fluids, and they cleansed their systems in an attempt to eliminate the toxin.  It took about two day for our dogs to show promising signs of recovery.

We are grateful this unfortunate incident happened on a quiet evening, and we were able to notice the changes in our dogs’ behavior and take prompt actions. I’m sharing our experience intending to spare other pet parents and their animal companions from  injury from a seemingly harmless landscaping project.my-logo-wings-paw-horse-shoe

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s