A freshly cut walnut tree caused our two dogs to become gravely ill. Poison Control informed us that walnut trees secrete a substance called juglone, which is toxic. The initial symptoms include vomiting, diarrhea, seizures and paralysis.
We had a walnut tree taken down in our backyard. Our dogs did not chew the wood; they simply got too close. Within a mere 4 hours after contact with the downed tree limbs, both dogs were rushed to a veterinary emergency room with identical symptoms.
They were nearly unconscious, trembling and paralysis had set in. The ER team stabilized them with IV fluids, and they cleansed their systems in an attempt to eliminate the toxin. It took about two day for our dogs to show promising signs of recovery.
We are grateful this unfortunate incident happened on a quiet evening, and we were able to notice the changes in our dogs’ behavior and take prompt actions. I’m sharing our experience intending to spare other pet parents and their animal companions from injury from a seemingly harmless landscaping project.